If you’re looking for a place with it all, look no further than Ogunquit, Maine. This charming town is home to some of the state’s best food, scenery, and adventure. Whether you’re looking for a quiet weekend away or an action-packed vacation, Ogunquit is sure to please. This guide will cover 25 of the best things to do in Ogunquit, Maine!
If you’re looking for a guide to the best things to do in Ogunquit, look no further!
This guide contains Ogunquit’s best food, fun, and adventure. You won’t want to miss out on any of the fantastic experiences this seaside village offers.
With so much to see and do in Ogunquit, refer to this guide while planning your trip, and you’re sure to have the best vacation ever!
Visit our website, www.ogunquitriverinn.com.com, or call us at (207) 261-0947. Book your stay at Ogunquit River Inn today!
Here is a guide to the 25 Best Things to Do in Ogunquit, Maine.
1. Visit the Ogunquit beaches
Ogunquit is home to some of the most beautiful beaches in Maine. Whether you want to swim, sunbathe, or just walk along the shore, you’ll find plenty of options here.
Some of the activities are as follows:
- Walking – Ogunquit Beach is a 3-mile stretch of white sand and is perfect for a leisurely walk or run.
- Swimming – The water at Ogunquit beach is clean and refreshing, perfect for a cooling dip on a hot day.
- Sunbathing – Soak up the rays on the sandy shores of Ogunquit Beach.
- Beachcombing – Explore the tide pools and look for shells and other treasures washed up on the shore.
2. Explore the local art scene
Ogunquit is known for its many art galleries and museums. If you’re an art lover, check out some of these venues during your visit.
Some of the activities you can do while you’re here:
- Visit art galleries – There are several art galleries in town, each with its unique style.
- Take an art class – If you’re feeling creative, why not take an art class? There are several options available for all skill levels.
- Go to the Ogunquit Museum of American Art – This museum is home to a collection of American art from the 19th and 20th centuries.
3. Take a hike
There are several hiking trails located near Ogunquit. So if you want to exercise while enjoying the great outdoors, this is the place for you.
4. Boat Tours
A boat tour is a great way to see Ogunquit from the water, and explore the area. Several companies offer tours, varying from scenic boat tours to fishing charters.a different perspective. Be sure to check them out!
Boat rates vary by company and seasons, but average pricing in the area:
1.5-hour scenic cruise – $36-65 per person
Lobstering trip – $25 per person
Private charter – $540
Sailing trip – $60-$65 per person
Make sure to check prices and scheduling with any company you book with.
5. Visit a lighthouse
Ogunquit is a seafaring village, with many lighthouses to see. Along Marginal Way right here in Ogunquit is the Lobster Point Lighthouse. The Nubble Lighthouse is just down the road in York, and Boon Island Light can be visited by boat. Goat Island, Ram Island Ledge, and Wood Island Lighthouses are all a little north in the Kennebunkport and Old Orchard Beach areas. All are open to the public and offer stunning views of the coastline.
6. Go shellfishing and clam digging
One of the unique things in Ogunquit is digging in the mud flats at low tide for shellfish and clams! There are local guides that will take you to show you the spots, or you can take the family out for fun on the water. The Town of Ogunquit sells licenses, so be sure to get yours and make sure you know the rules before you head out.
7. Explore Perkins Cove
Perkins Cove is a beautiful harbor located near Ogunquit. It’s home to several shops and restaurants and a working lobster pound.
Some of the activities in Perkins Cove:
- Lobster Pound – Get fresh lobsters off the boat! Bring a cooler to take them home with you.
- Sailboat ride – Get a different perspective of Perkins Cove from the water.
- Shopping – There are several unique shops located in Perkins Cove, so be sure to take some time to browse.
- Dining – Perkins Cove has several excellent restaurants, so stop for a bite to eat.
- Perkins Cove Pottery Shop – If you’re looking for a great place to bring home souvenirs and gifts, look no further!
- Perkins Cove Candies – Enjoy fine handmade chocolates from this local favorite, open for 40+ years.
8. Visit the Ogunquit Playhouse
The Ogunquit Playhouse is a historic theater that has been entertaining audiences since 1933. If you’re a fan of live theater, check out a show during your visit.
About the Ogunquit Playhouse:
- Check out a show – The Ogunquit Playhouse offers several shows throughout the year, so check their schedule.
- Local and regional talent – The Ogunquit Playhouse is known for showcasing extraordinary talented artists, so check out their performances.
9. Experience Downtown Ogunquit
Ogunquit’s major thoroughfare on Main Street and Shore Road has several stores, restaurants, and galleries. Make a point of visiting this hot spot during your trip.
10. Walk Marginal Way
The Marginal Way is a beautiful cliffside path that runs for about a mile along the coast. It’s the perfect place to enjoy some fresh air and stunning views.
11. Play in nature
Just outside Ogunquit, there are many parks, nature paths and hiking trails. It is the spot to go if you want to escape the noise and bustle of town.
12. Eat good food
Ogunquit is home to some of the best restaurants in Maine. Whether you’re looking for seafood, Italian, or just a good ol’ burger, you’ll find plenty of options here.
13. Go fishing
Ogunquit is an excellent place for fishing, right from the beach or on a deep sea fishing charter. Many companies offer rod and reel rentals, but you can always pack your own!
14. Explore the Ogunquit River
World Within Kayak offers kayaking and stand-up-paddleboard rentals right from our banks of the Ogunquit River Inn. Launch right from their backyard and explore the river and its estuaries. A great family activity!
15. Take a scenic drive
There are many scenic byways in Maine, and Ogunquit is located near several beautiful scenic routes. Hit the Maine Turnpike/I-95 right next to town to get into some incredible sightseeing.
16. Visit a farm
There are many farms in Ogunquit and the surrounding area with produce, honey, children’s activities, and lovely food to eat. Depending on the season, drop by for berry picking, apple picking, pumpkin picking, and more! Get fresh, locally farmed food that is a great snack, but doubles as a perfect outing for adults and families alike.
17. Go golfing
Ogunquit is home to several golf courses, so if you’re a golf fan, hit the links during your visit.
18. Try a day trip
Ogunquit is close to fantastic day-trip locations, including Portland, Kennebunkport, Portsmouth, and Old Orchard Beach. Day trips are just one of the lovely things to do in Ogunquit, Maine.
19. Shopping in downtown Ogunquit
Ogunquit is home to several gift shops, so if you’re looking for souvenirs or just some unique items, explore the town’s many stores.
20. Attend a festival
Ogunquit hosts several festivals annually, including the Capriccio Festival of the Arts, Christmas by the Sea, and the Maine Lobster Festival. So, visit them if you’re looking for a fun and festive occasion.
21. Stroll through a garden
Check out Fuller Gardens and Bedrock Gardens during your trip. Just down the road from Ogunquit, you’ll find a lovely, calming atmosphere while you walk through the well-kept grounds. Check them out if you’re searching for a tranquil and picturesque place to unwind.
22. Enjoy live music
Ogunquit is home to several great live music venues, especially Jonathan’s Ogunquit, and the Ogunquit Performing Arts Center. If you’re a fan of live music with some local artists, check them out.
23. Visit the Ogunquit Heritage Museum
The Ogunquit Heritage Museum is the perfect place to learn about the history of this coastal town. Located in the Captain James Winn House, check out exhibits and artifacts related to the seafaring, architectural and cultural history of our seaside village.
If you are an art or museum enthusiast, make sure to visit these beautiful museums:
- Ogunquit Museum of American Art
- Maine Maritime Museum
- Portland Museum of Art
- Children’s Museum & Theater of Maine
- Maine Historical Society and the Wadsworth-Longfellow House
- Maine State Museum
- Bowdoin College Museum of Art
- Colby College Museum of Art
24. Dive in the ocean
Ogunquit is located on the Maine Atlantic coast, so if you’re looking to cool off, be sure to take a dip in the ocean. Make sure to check for parking and bring your sunscreen!
25. Relax in the park
The Wells Harbor Park and Sohier Park are among Ogunquit’s many gorgeous parks. So, visit them if you’re searching for a spot to unwind and enjoy the surroundings.
Why visit Ogunquit, Maine?
Here are some of the reasons why you should visit Ogunquit, Maine:
- It is an excellent location for getting away from the hustle and bustle of city life.
- It is affordable and offers a variety of activities for all budgets.
- It is perfect for the whole family with plenty of kid-friendly activities.
- It is a dream come true for nature lovers and outdoor enthusiasts.
Tips to consider when visiting Ogunquit, Maine
If you’re visiting Ogunquit, Maine, here are some suggestions to help you get the most out of your trip:
What to wear
The weather in Ogunquit, Maine, can be unpredictable, so it’s essential to pack for warm and cool temperatures.
What to eat
There are many great restaurants in Ogunquit, Maine, but be sure to try some of the local seafood places.
How to travel
Ogunquit, Maine, is a small town, so getting around is easy. The town is located right along the Maine Turnpike/I-95, so driving is recommended. You can walk around most places in town, since everything is quite close together. The closest airport is the Portland International Jetport, located in Portland, ME.
Where to stay
There are many great places hotels in Ogunquit, Maine. Whether you’re looking for a hotel, motel, or vacation rental, you might want to consider Ogunquit River Inn if you wish for the best accommodation possible.
Q: What is Sea Glass Jewelry Studio?
A: This Jewelry Studio is a unique jewelry store in Ogunquit, Maine. They offer a wide variety of jewelry made from sea glass found on Maine’s beaches.
Q: What is the Ogunquit Memorial Library?
A: The Ogunquit Memorial Library is a public library in Ogunquit, Maine. It is located on Shore Road in the heart of downtown Ogunquit.
Q: Does Ogunquit Beach have a boardwalk?
A: No, but there are many shops located around.
Q: Can I bring my dog to Ogunquit Beach?
A: Yes, dogs are allowed on the beach from September 9 to March 31.
Q: Is Ogunquit an expensive place to visit?
A: No, Ogunquit is a relatively affordable place to visit.
Ogunquit, Maine, is a hidden gem nestled on the Maine coast. It’s a great place to get away from the hustle and bustle of city life and enjoy the beauty of nature. There are many things to do in Ogunquit, Maine, for all budgets and interests. So, whether you’re looking for a place to relax or an adventure, Ogunquit is the perfect destination.
And if you’re looking for a hotel near the beaches of Ogunquit, Maine, be sure to check out Ogunquit River Inn. We offer the best rooms and rates in town. So, what are you waiting for? Book your stay today!