If you’re looking for a magnificent New England town to explore, get ready for a trip to Ogunquit, Maine. In this small coastal community, you will be thrilled with iconic art galleries, dazzling restaurants, and lovely seaside scenery.
This guide will show you some of the best things to see and do in downtown Ogunquit. We’ll also recommend fabulous restaurants where you can get delicious local treats! So whether you’re visiting Ogunquit for the first time or you’re a longtime fan, be sure to check out our guide!
Are you looking for a guide to Downtown Ogunquit Maine?
We’ve got you covered! This guide provides everything you need to know about what to see, do, and eat in this lovely coastal town. To assist you in getting excited about your vacation, we’ve included some fantastic pictures.
Remove the guesswork from your holiday planning! During your visit to Ogunquit, our guide will ensure you get the most incredible experience possible.
Book your stay at Ogunquit River Inn!
Ogunquit River Inn
One mile north of Ogunquit Village is a popular destination for weekend getaways and your summer vacation. The Ogunquit River Inn features a waterfront property, neighbouring lovely beaches, and hotel-style guest rooms. It provides views of both the scenic coastline and the Ogunquit River. At the Ogunquit River Inn, you will find adventures and create treasured memories.
The Ogunquit River Inn is the sure place to enjoy your vacation. Whether it’s summer or the middle of winter, Ogunquit is home to historic buildings, public gardens, retail shops, antique stores, dunes, water sports, and more.
Here are 10 vacation spots to see in Ogunquit, MaineBeach Plum Farm
1.Beach Plum Farm
Anyone traveling to Ogunquit, Maine, should not miss seeing Beach Plum Farm. This distinctive farm has fresh, locally grown fruits and veggies, handcrafted jams and jellies, and baked items. Beach Plum Farm is the only saltwater farm that is still in existence in Ogunquit. From here, one can see the ocean and the sand dunes. Along with the ruins of a historic New England saltwater farm, visitors may see flourishing community gardens, unspoiled natural areas, and wildlife habitats.
2. Marginal Way
Marginal Way is a scenic walking trail that runs for about one mile along the coast of Ogunquit. This is a great place to exercise and enjoy stunning ocean views. Marginal Way is a wonder in itself. It is a cliff walk that is sure to wow you. It begins near sand dunes and spans close to the three miles of beach, rock shoreline, and pristine coastline in Ogunquit. There are strategically positioned seats throughout the length, so you may take a break or sit quietly and enjoy the beauty.
3. Harbor Candy Shop
The Harbor Candy Shop is a local favorite known for its delicious homemade chocolates and confections. Be sure to try the famous sea salt chocolate!
4. Captain James Winn House
The Captain James Winn House is a historic home built in 1690. It is now called the Ogunquit Heritage Museum, a great place to learn about the history of this small town. The museum is located in an old schoolhouse and exhibits the local maritime history, Native American culture, and more.
5. Ogunquit Beach
No trip to Ogunquit would be complete without spending some time at the beach! Ogunquit Beach is a beautiful sandy beach stretching three miles of the Maine shoreline. It is perfect for swimming, sunbathing, and simply relaxing with the coastal birds.
Some other must-visit beaches in Ogunquit:
- Footbridge Beach: This beach is located near the Ogunquit River and is known for its dramatic cliffs and rocks.
- Mother’s Beach: Mother’s Beach is an excellent spot for families with young children as it offers calm waters and a playground.
- Little Beach: Little Beach is a small, secluded beach located near the Marginal Way.
6. Sohier Park
Sohier Park is a small park located at the tip of Cape Neddick. It is a great place to take a break from shopping and enjoy the fresh air.
Some other notable Parks in Ogunquit:
- Veteran Memorial Park: Veteran Memorial Park is a small park located in the historic district of Ogunquit.
- Josias River Park: Josias River Park is a beautiful spot to relax, hike, and enjoy the scenery.
- Wells Harbor Park: Wells Harbor Park is a great spot for families with young children to take in the coastline and enjoy the sea breeze.
- Ogunquit Beach Dog Park: The Ogunquit Beach Dog Park is a great place to take your furry friend for a walk.
7. Barn Gallery
Local Maine-based artists’ works are displayed at the Barn Gallery. Other New England painters and printmakers also have beautiful pieces on display at the gallery. A working printing facility that occasionally serves as a classroom is located here. This is a fantastic location to look at gorgeous artwork or find unusual presents.
Some of the best Art Galleries in Ogunquit include
- George Marshall Store Gallery: The George Marshall Store Gallery specializes in exhibitions of emerging and mid-career artists from Maine and New England in a converted general store that serves as a contemporary art space.
- Mast Cove Galleries: Mast Cove Galleries are located right off Kennebunkport’s Dock Square, featuring sculpture, paintings, graphic art, jewelry, and more from local artisans and artists.
8. Ogunquit Museum of American Art
The Ogunquit Museum of American Art is a must-see for any art lover. This museum features a collection of American art from the 19th and 20th centuries, including works by Edward Hopper and Andrew Wyeth.
9. Beautiful Lighthouses
Ogunquit is home to two beautiful lighthouses: the Nubble Lighthouse and Lobster Point Lighthouse. These lighthouses are perfect for photo opportunities or simply admiring their beauty.
Some of the must-see lighthouses in Ogunquit and environ:
- Nubble Lighthouse: The Nubble Lighthouse is a beautiful lighthouse on an island just off the coast of Ogunquit.
- Lobster Point Lighthouse: The Lobster Point Lighthouse is located along Marginal Way..
- Goat Island Lighthouse: Restored to its appearance from the 1950s, you can easily access this lighthouse by boat in the summertime.
- Portland Head Lighthouse: The Portland Head Lighthouse is a beautiful lighthouse in the nearby city of Portland.
- Wood Island: The Wood Island Lighthouse is a historic landmark located on a small island in Saco Bay.
- Spring Point Ledge Lighthouse: The Spring Point Ledge Lighthouse is a beautiful caisson-style lighthouse constructed in 1897 and open year round.
10. Perkins Cove Ogunquit
Perkins Cove is a quaint little cove located in Ogunquit. It is the perfect place to enjoy fresh seafood, go for a walk, or watch the boats come and go. Perkins Cove is a beautiful neighborhood with local shops, eateries, and breathtaking vistas. On the rocks, visitors may relax and have a picnic. You may look at the boats or arrange a fishing or sailing expedition to take in views from the sea.
11. Beach Plums Lobster Farm
Beach Plums Lobster Farm is a great place to get fresh seafood. This family-owned business has been operating for over 30 years and offers a variety of lobster, crab, and fish.
12. Ogunquit Chamber of Commerce
The Ogunquit Chamber of Commerce is an excellent resource for anyone visiting the area. This organization provides information on local events, attractions, and businesses.
Summer months Ogunquit activities
There are plenty of activities to enjoy in Ogunquit during the summer months. Visitors can swim at one of the many beaches, enjoy a game of golf, go on a whale-watching tour, or relax and enjoy the stunning scenery.
These are some of the must-try activities in Ogunquit:
Ogunquit is home to several golf courses, including the renowned Ledges Golf Club.
Ogunquit is the perfect place to go whale-watching. Whale-watching tours depart from Perkins Cove and offer the chance to see these majestic creatures up close.
Visit Ogunquit Playhouse
The Ogunquit Playhouse is a historic theater that hosts Broadway-quality shows. This is a great place to enjoy an evening of entertainment during your stay in Ogunquit.
If you’re looking for some retail therapy, look no further than Beach Street. This street is lined with charming shops and boutiques selling everything from souvenirs to clothing.
Maine Street is the perfect place to grab a bite to eat. This street is home to many restaurants, cafes, and ice cream shops.
Experience Ogunquit Trolley
The Ogunquit Trolley is a great way to see the town. This vintage trolley takes visitors on a tour of the historic downtown area and the scenic coastal roads.
Enjoy Indigenous Peoples Day Weekend in Ogunquit
If you’re looking for a weekend getaway, consider spending Indigenous Peoples Day in Ogunquit. Southern Maine is the perfect place to enjoy the autumn foliage. Enjoy many weekend activities, including visiting a pumpkin patch, going hayride, or simply taking a scenic drive.
Check out the Working Harbor
Ogunquit is home to a working harbor, where you can watch the fishermen haul in their catch of the day. This is a great place to get fresh seafood to take home with you or to enjoy at one of the many restaurants on Maine Street.
Take a Sailing Trip
Ogunquit is the perfect place to enjoy a day on the water. Visitors can take a sailing trip, kayak, or enjoy the views from the beach.
Enjoy a Sunset Tour
One of the best ways to experience Ogunquit is to take a sunset tour. This is a great way to see the town and the surrounding area while enjoying the beautiful views.
What to pack for your trip to Ogunquit?
When traveling to Ogunquit, don’t forget to pack sunglasses, sunscreen, and a swimsuit. Insect repellent is also necessary if you’re traveling in the summer.
This beachfront town is the perfect place to enjoy mouthwatering seafood, relaxation, and watching the passing boats. There are many activities to do in Ogunquit, such as pumpkin picking, whale watching, swimming at the beach, etc.
Ogunquit River Inn provides comfortable accommodations with modern amenities that will make your stay here super relaxing.
Home of the Best Local Restaurants in the World
You can enjoy some of the best meals in Ogunquit when you visit any of these places:
- Lobster Shack: This is the place to go if you’re looking for fresh seafood. The Lobster Shack is located right on the water and offers stunning ocean views.
- Five-O Shore Road: This restaurant offers a variety of food, including lobster rolls, steak, and chicken dishes.
- Cornerstone Artisanal Pizza: This pizza shop offers a variety of wood-fired pizzas, as well as salads and pasta dishes.
- Front Porch Piano Bar: This bar is a great place to enjoy live music and drinks. The Front Porch Piano Bar features a variety of local and regional musicians.
- Barnacle Billy’s: This restaurant is known for its lobster roll and fried clams. Barnacle Billy’s also has a gift shop where you can purchase souvenirs.
Some things to consider while looking for the ideal hotel.
- The key factor is location: You should pick a hotel close to everything you intend to visit.
- Examine reviews: Check out what other visitors say about their experiences before.
- Organize your finances: Find an economical hotel because you don’t want to spend all your vacation money on it.
- Look into the amenities: Make sure the hotel has what you require.
- Another crucial factor to consider is the sort of room: Suites, flats, and more are available in certain hotels.
- Views from the room: Make sure you have a beautiful view of the city or the outdoors.
- The quality of staff and customer care: You should check to see if they are welcoming and helpful.
- Cleanliness: You’ll want to ensure the room is clean and comfortable.
- Security: l. You’ll want to ensure the hotel is safe for you and your family.
- Reserve early: The earlier you reserve, the more likely you will get the accommodation of your choice.
One great place is located in proximity to the best tourist spot in Ogunquit. It is the Ogunquit River Inn. Here, you get the best at really affordable rates. You won’t be let down; we guarantee it!
Why choosing Ogunquit River Inn is a wise move.
As we previously stated, location is essential when choosing a hotel. The Ogunquit River Inn’s prime location in the center of town makes it simple to travel around and take advantage of everything the region offers. Our rooms and suites offer breathtaking views of the river. Your stay at the Ogunquit River Inn will undoubtedly be enjoyable, no matter which kind of accommodation you select.
The location on the river is stunning and ideal for people seeking a tranquil getaway. Additionally, the Ogunquit River Inn is an excellent option if you’re traveling with family or friends because it provides a selection of accommodation styles to accommodate groups of different kinds.
The different rooms that we provide are as follows:
- Standard rooms
- Deluxe rooms
- Executive suites
- Penthouse suites
- Family rooms
To enhance your visit, we also provide some conveniences. We have a spa, a fitness center, and an outdoor pool. We highly suggest visiting the West Meadow Pub or the Union Bluff Grill & Pub for a delicious local meal. And if you need any help planning your vacation, our concierge is always happy to assist.
The Ogunquit River Inn’s advantages as a place to stay
The Ogunquit River Inn offers a variety of advantages. Still, these are a few of our favorites:
- Nearby downtown Ogunquit, Maine is where you’ll find the Ogunquit River Inn. The town’s top boutiques, eateries, and attractions are only a few steps away from you.
- You can choose from various room types to find the ideal lodging for your requirements. The Ogunquit River Inn can accommodate your needs, whether seeking a modest room for two people or a large suite for your family.
- The backyard water access is the hotel’s best feature. Dip your toes in or rent a kayak and launch right from our shores!
We strongly recommend the Ogunquit River Inn if you’re searching for the ideal lodging for your upcoming getaway. It has everything you need for a comfortable and happy stay, including a great restaurant, a range of room types, and a great location.
Q: What’s the best way to go around Ogunquit?
A: The best way to get around Ogunquit is on foot. That way, you can take in all the sights and sounds of this beautiful town.
Q: What’s the average price of a hotel room in Ogunquit?
A: The average price of a hotel room in Ogunquit is $250 per night.
Q: Where can I find french toast in Ogunquit?
A: The best place to find french toast in Ogunquit is at the Wild Blueberry Cafe.
Ogunquit is a lovely town with a lot to offer. It’s no surprise that Ogunquit is such a well-liked vacation spot, given its breathtaking setting, fascinating history, and wealth of activities. You’re sure to have a fantastic vacation if you remember to bring sunscreen and a sense of exploration.
A charming strolling with numerous boutiques and intriguing businesses can be found in our little village. Ogunquit is well known for its eateries and theaters, concert halls, and comedy clubs! The Ogunquit River Inn, which boasts views of both the Atlantic Ocean and the Ogunquit River, is located one mile north of Ogunquit Village, which is well-known for its local dining and shopping. Unwind at our lovely inn!