If you’re looking for the best place to take your kids on vacation, look no further than Ogunquit, Maine! This charming coastal town is home to some of the best activities for kids of all ages. From nature walks and parks to delicious restaurants that cater to little ones, Ogunquit has something for everyone in the family. Keep reading for our top tips on making the most of your time in Ogunquit with your kids!
Planning a vacation for the family can be difficult, but don’t worry – we’re here to help!
Ogunquit is the perfect place for the family. With plenty of activities and attractions to keep everyone entertained, you’ll be able to relax and enjoy your time away.
We know that finding things to do with kids can be challenging, so we’ve put together a list of our favorite activities for families in Ogunquit. From swimming and fishing to shopping and sightseeing, there’s something for everyone in this charming coastal town.
Here are a few options to consider to enjoy your stay in Ogunquit with your kids:
Visit Ogunquit Beach
We cannot deny the fact that Ogunquit is known for its beautiful beaches. There are plenty of notable beaches to visit in Ogunquit, like Moody Beach, Footbridge Beach, and Crescent Beach. Aside from building sandcastles on a sandy beach or playing in the waves, Ogunquit Beach is the perfect place to spend a day with your family.
Here are some of the family-friendly water activities in Ogunquit Beach:
- Kayaking – Ogunquit is an ideal place to kayak with the family. There are plenty of areas to explore, like on the Ogunquit River and Rachel Carson Wildlife Refuge. Canoeing is another great option for families looking to explore the waterways of Ogunquit.
- Fishing – Ogunquit Beach is perfect for trying your hand at fishing, whether you are beachcasting or deep sea fishing. If you are beachcasting, the best time to fish from the beach is two hours before high tide to two hours after high tide.
- Boogie Boards – Sandy beaches all along Ogunquit’s coastline offer lots of opportunities to boogie board in the surf. There are several rental shops in town that have boogie boards you can take for the day.
- Surfing Lessons – Ogunquit is an excellent place to learn how to surf. Several surf schools offer lessons for all levels, from beginners to advanced. Always wear your proper beach gear for safety.
- Go Whale Watching – Whale-watching trips are available from local companies. Get to see humpback, finback, and blue whales congregate for the breeding season before they head south in the Fall.
Paddle at Ogunquit River
Ogunquit is a great place to paddle with the family. The river is slow-moving and perfect for beginners. There are plenty of places to stop and rest along the way, so you can take your time and enjoy the scenery.
If you’re looking for a bit of adventure, some rapids further downstream are perfect for experienced paddlers. World Within Kayak operates and launches right from the shores behind Ogunquit River Inn, a great place to check out!
Enjoy delicious food in Ogunquit.
Ogunquit is home to some of the best seafood restaurants in Maine. If you’re looking for a delicious lobster dinner, lobster pots, or lobster roll, be sure to check out one of the many seafood places along the waterfront.
Ogunquit is also home to several ice cream shops and candy stores for those with a sweet tooth.
Some of the best eateries with kids in Ogunquit include:
- Perkins Cove Lobster Shack | The Perkins Cove Lobster Shack on Ogunquit is a must-visit for seafood lovers. Be sure to try their famous lobster roll!
- Bob’s Clam Hut | Bob’s Clam Hut in Kittery is another great option for seafood lovers. They offer a wide variety of seafood, including fried clams, clam chowder, and lobster rolls.
- Sweet Pea’s Ice Cream | Sweet Pea’s Ice Cream is a local favorite. They offer various ice cream flavors and other treats like milkshakes and sundaes.
- Harbor Candy Shop | Harbor Candy Shop in downtown Ogunquit is a great place to satisfy your sweet tooth. They offer a wide variety of candies, chocolates, and goodies for the whole family.
- Barnacle Billy’s | Barnacle Billy’s is a perfect place for families with kids. They offer steamed clams, lobster, barbecue chicken, lobster stew, and drinks for parents.
- The Omelette Factory | The Omelette Factory on Main Street is a must for breakfast or lunch. They offer a wide variety of omelettes and other breakfast and lunch items.
Choose the right hotel
Ogunquit River Inn is the perfect place for families looking for an Ogunquit hotel. With plenty of activities and amenities, you’ll find the perfect room for your family.
Check out our list of the best hotels in Ogunquit, Maine, where you’ll find accommodations to fit any budget. Ogunquit River Inn is the perfect place for your next family vacation. With affordable rates and a convenient location, you’ll be able to enjoy all that Ogunquit has to offer. Be sure to book your stay today!
Some checklist of why Ogunquit River Inn is the right choice:
- Close to the beach
- Great reviews
- Comfortable rooms
- Great location
- Outdoor pool
Ogunquit River Inn is about a mile from the world-famous, world-class beaches of Southern Maine. York’s Wild Kingdom, Mini Golf, and other family attractions are only a few minutes away.
Try Ogunquit Parks and Nature
Amusement parks are fun, but they’re not the only option for family fun in Ogunquit. Nature is also a big part of what makes this town so unique!
Ogunquit is home to several parks and nature reserves, where you can hike, bike, or enjoy the scenery.
Some of the best parks and nature reserves in Ogunquit include:
- Wells Reserve at Laudholm
- Ogunquit Beach
- Footbridge Beach
- Rachel Carson National Wildlife Refuge
- Moody Beach State Park
Go Hiking in Nature
One of the best ways to explore Ogunquit is on foot. There are plenty of hiking trails, ranging from easy to challenging.
Some of the best hiking trails in Ogunquit include:
- Hilton-Winn Preserve
- The Wells Reserve Trail System
- Marginal Way
- Mount Agamenticus
- The Nubble Light Trail
Ogunquit Historical Places to visit with the Family
While you’re in Ogunquit, be sure to check out some of the town’s historic sites. You can also walk through the Ogunquit Heritage Garden, a beautiful park with several historic buildings.
Some of the best historical places to visit are:
- Ogunquit Heritage Museum
- Ogunquit Museum of American Art
- Ogunquit Playhouse
- Wells Auto Museum
- Leavitt Fine Arts Theatre
- Perkins Cove Lighthouse
Walk to Downtown Ogunquit
Downtown Ogunquit is a terrific spot to buy gifts for family and friends back home. You’ll be able to find something for everyone on your list. The town plaza is also a fantastic place to relax and enjoy the scenery.
Some of the best stores in Downtown Ogunquit include:
- Harbor Candy Shop | Ogunquit Sweets
- Beach Street Sweets | Candy Shop & Ice Cream Shop
- Village Toy Funatic | Village Toy Store
- On the Main | Gift Shop Ogunquit
- Revelations Gift Shop | Beachside Gift Shop
Ogunquit Boat Tours
One of the best ways to see Ogunquit is from the Atlantic ocean. Several tours are available, ranging from whale watching to sunset cruises for the whole family.
Some of the best boat tours in Ogunquit include:
- Finestkind Inc | Ogunquit Whale Watch
- Silverlining Sailing Cruises | Ogunquit Sunset Cruise
- Sail The Gift | Maine Island Cruises
- Maine Lighthouse Boat Tours | Lighthouse Cruises
- Ogunquit Trolley | Ogunquit Trolley Tour
Q: Is there any age limitations in some places?
A: There aren’t any age limitations to visit Ogunquit, all ages are welcome! Certain bars or venues may have age restrictions, please check individual venues as you plan your trip.
Q: How much is the range of Boat Tours?
A: The boat tours range from $35-$60 per person.
Q: What’s the best time to visit Ogunquit?
A: The best time to visit Ogunquit is in the summertime.
Q: What’s the average temperature in Ogunquit?
A: The average temperature in Ogunquit is between 70-80 degrees Fahrenheit.
Look no further if you’re seeking activities to do with kids in Ogunquit, Maine! We’ve compiled a list of activities to keep the whole family occupied. This quaint seaside village has something for everyone, from exploring nature to relaxing on the beach. So pack your luggage and prepare to have a good time!
A family vacation in Ogunquit is a terrific idea. The town is jam-packed with things to do, plus it’s right at the seaside, so you’ll get lots of fresh air and gorgeous vistas if you wish to go beyond the necessities. Don’t worry if you’re seeking inspiration; we’ve got you covered!