Are you looking to spend your long weekend in New England? Kennebunkport and Ogunquit are beautiful towns on the coast of Maine, well decorated with several tourist attractions, but they each have their unique charm.
If you are looking for a charming and picturesque seaside town to visit in Maine, you may wonder whether Kennebunkport or Ogunquit is the better choice. Both towns have a lot to offer visitors and holiday seekers, but they are quite different from each other. In this article, we will compare and contrast these two towns so that you can decide which one is right for you!
Whether you prefer the picturesque coastal views and bustling atmosphere of Kennebunkport or the quaint charm and relaxing beaches of Ogunquit, both destinations offer a variety of accommodations, including some of the best Ogunquit hotels and Kennebunkport resorts.
The Difference Between Ogunquit and Kennebunkport
In addition to having great nightlife, staying in Ogunquit also offers a lovely beach setting and excellent dining options while Kennebunkport has nice beaches, it is also steeped in a rich maritime history. You could always spend the day in one and stay in the other as they are close enough.
Kennebunkport is a vacation spot where people can visit year round and have a ton of fun. Visitors frequently return to Kennebunkport throughout the year to take advantage of everything it offers because there is so much to do and see. In addition to its consistently magnificent ocean vistas and persistent “small town” vibe, it has its fair share of art galleries, spas, exquisite antique stores, and coastal inlets for kayaking, fishing, and other activities.
The town centers of Kennebunk and Kennebunkport are five miles apart and divided by two rivers, but a shared history and a relaxed coastal atmosphere connect them. Kennebunkport has been a vacation destination since the 19th century and is best characterized as the Hamptons of the Pine Tree State.
Ogunquit is undoubtedly one of the most attractive sites on the Southern Maine Coast, renowned for its pristine beaches, high rocky cliffs, charming colonial houses, and wonderful tree-lined lanes. A holiday visit will allow you to see why Ogunquit, Maine’s premier coastal community, is a great place to stay, play, and explore. Also great place to grab a coffee!
What is Ogunquit Known For?
Ogunquit is well known for its historical Marginal way that welcomes thousands of visitors, has sandy beaches, and amazing restaurants. If you’re searching for a genuine and traditional Maine delight, visit one of the many famous lobster pounds in Ogunquit and treat yourself.
For couples looking for a romantic atmosphere and distinctive cuisine, several fancy restaurants will give you a memorable experience. Most of them are located in the downtown area near the beautiful harborfront.
Best things to do in Ogunquit Maine
- Marginal Way Cliff Walk: One of the best things to do in Ogunquit, Maine, is the seaside cliff walk along the Marginal Way. This activity is ideal for everyone. Several seats are strategically positioned along the way so visitors can easily rest whenever needed.
- Ogunquit Museum of American Art: Ogunquit is a great place for exploring arts, history, and culture. Hundreds of artifacts are always on exhibit at the Ogunquit Museum of American Art, one of Ogunquit, Maine’s greatest museums, along with additional pieces occasionally rotated out.
- Ogunquit Playhouse: The Ogunquit Playhouse is nationally recognized. Every year, they put on performances for children and adults alike. Several popular artists have also performed here, including Ed Begley Jr, Jeff Bridges, and Lloyd Bridges. If you are lucky, you may catch a performance from them during your visit.
- Explore Perkins Cove: Perkins Cove is a vibrant, scenic fishing community in Ogunquit’s southern end. Originally a tiny fishing village and artists’ colony, it is now a picturesque neighborhood with over 30 quaint shops, galleries, dining options, and breathtaking viewpoints.
- Great Beaches: Ogunquit Beach is one of the most famous sandy beaches in the area and is easily accessible from Route 1. You can spend the day relaxing in the sun, playing with the kids, and enjoying activities like kayaking, stand-up paddleboarding, swimming, and fishing. Bring a picnic and enjoy it in the warmth of the sun.
- Cape Neddick: Cape Neddick is a stunning and tranquil location. Often known as the Nubble Lighthouse, it is one of Maine’s most prominent tourist sites. It features amazing park views, lovely local surroundings, and many surrounding rocks and cliffs.
Ogunquit River Inn: Coastal Maine Central Location
At the Ogunquit River Inn, we work hard to make every visitor’s stay memorable. Our helpful staff works hard to ensure that your family has all they require for an enjoyable and restful holiday. In addition to free Wi-Fi, we also provide complimentary parking and fully furnished accommodations. Plus, any size family can stay in one of our rooms thanks to their spaciousness!
Why then wait? Reserve your stay at the Ogunquit River Inn and take advantage of our onsite and room amenities. Our rooms are furnished to give every guest the complete home vibe. There is something here for every family member, from the breathtaking beaches to the countless activities. We’re excited to see you soon! Plan your next family vacation now, and stay with us.
Book your stay at Ogunquit River Inn today.
What is Kennebunkport Known For?
Kennebunkport is a great family place well-known for its fishing and shipbuilding. It also ranks among New England’s most popular tourist attractions. However, this picturesque seaside town is more than a nice spot to visit. It is also rich in history! In actuality, Kennebunkport is one of the oldest European-settled cities in the United States. One of its most famous residents is former US President George H.W. Bush and his family, who have helped spread awareness of Kennebunkport around the globe.
How do you spend a day in Kennebunkport?:
- Join Maine Foodie Tours on a cuisine tour: From seafood to sweet treats, sample the best of Kennebunkport’s culinary offerings on Maine Foodie Tours’ Kennebunkport Tour.
- At the Kennebunkport Brewing Company, sample several regional brews: How much do you know about beers? Stop by the Kennebunkport Brewing Company for a craft beer.
- Catch a live performance at Vinegar Hill: DJs are great, but nothing beats a live musical performance. It is perfect for everyone. Enjoy a night of music and entertainment at Vinegar Hill Music Theatre, which features live performances from local acts.
- Go on a lobster boat tour: Take a guided tour of the area’s lobster industry and learn about the craft of local fishermen. A lobster tour is both exciting and informative. It’s an excellent opportunity to learn a lot about lobsters while lobstering the entire time. This is a highly recommended Kennebunkport activity for anybody looking for a stunning coastline view.
- Board a 125-foot schooner and sip a cocktail: Board the Schooner Eleanor, take part in a historic cruise, and enjoy breathtaking coastline views.
- In Dock Square, buy some regional keepsakes: No vacation is only complete without the right souvenirs. With its many shops and galleries, Dock Square is the place to find souvenirs.
- Shop at Goose Rocks General Store: From food to gifts, this store has everything and is a must-visit.
- Swim at Goose Rocks Beach: Get some sun and dip your toes in the cool waters at Goose Rocks Beach. You can enjoy a picnic and take some good photos.
Some Benefits of Visiting New England during Summer Months
Exploring the New England coast in the summer will have you encounter a variety of captivating flora and fauna and provide plenty of opportunities for many outdoor activities.
The mild temperatures allow visitors to enjoy spectacular beach days, hiking and biking trails, water sports, and much more. Anywhere you go, you’ll find towns bustling with people and activities.
6 Quick Tips to Enjoy a Beautiful Beach with Family
- Bring a beach tent and chairs to the beach for added warmth, comfort, and protection from the sun.
- Pack plenty of snacks, drinks, and lunch items so everyone can refuel at the beach.
- Remember to bring sunscreen, hats, sunglasses, and swimwear for everyone in your group.
- Bring buckets and shovels for kids to play with in the sand.
- Load up on water, you’ll need a cool drink after playing in the sun.
- Finally, take lots of pictures, as memories will last forever!
Frequently Asked Questions about which is better, Kennebunkport or Ogunquit?
Q: Where is Cape Porpoise?
A: Cape Porpoise is a harbor located in Kennebunkport, Maine. It’s known for its peaceful atmosphere and abundance of outdoor activities, such as kayaking, fishing, and sightseeing.
Q: Are there tide pools in Maine?
A: There are tide pools along the Maine coast, including Kennebunkport and Ogunquit.
Q: Are Kennebunkport and Ogunquit kid-friendly places?
A: Both towns offer plenty of kid-friendly activities and attractions such as parks, beaches, museums, boat tours, and more.
The debate between Ogunquit and Kennebunkport will continue – but the fact remains that both are amazing places to visit and offer something special for everyone, beaches, museums, tours, and more. Ultimately, the decision boils down to the type of vacation experience you’re looking for; if it’s about enjoying beach life, Ogunquit is the perfect fit, whereas if it’s about charming New England vibes, Kennebunkport is the place to be.
Don’t forget to book your Maine coastal vacation. Visit the Ogunquit River Inn, the best hotel for a true Maine experience! Their inn offers quick access to all Ogunquit has to offer due to its prime location on the Ogunquit River. Their rooms are big and spacious, able to accommodate any size family. You’ll surely love the unbeatable quality of service.